Position Summary: The Kansas City Comets seek individual(s) interested in media relations for a professional sports organization. The Media Relations Interns will report to the Vice President of Business Operations. All Kansas City Comets internships are unpaid.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Plan and create compelling and original multi-media news web content, including interactive features, player transactions, photo- and video-based features
- Strong-writing skills will be required to produce press releases throughout the season to keep fans engaged on events, player acquisitions, etc.
- Interview players during Postgame/Practice/Events
- Provide assistance in facilitating player/coach interviews and handling other media requests
- Act as the Comets liaison for events throughout the community, including activation, pre-promotion and coverage for KCComets.com
- Assist in the maintenance of game-day materials and archives
- Oversee Press Box operations on game nights
- Assist Media Relations department with all pre and post-game setup in the press box, game coverage, and postgame interviews
- Assist in the production of team publications such as game notes, statistics, and media guides
- Conduct journalistic interviews in person and over the phone for content on KCComets.com
- Attentive to detail and direction
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Proactive problem solver and be able to work well under pressure.
- Professional demeanor demonstrating responsibility, initiative and dependability, all with a positive attitude.
- Must be able to communicate status of projects effectively
- Must be a quick learner and enjoy a fast-paced environment.
- Flexible and adapts to various environments and situations.
- High ethical standards and strong sense of confidentiality.
- Be able to work a flexible schedule including days, nights, weekends, and holidays
- Attend all home preseason, regular season, and playoff games
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work in and out of the office with varying hours depending on availability
- Experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Photoshop required
- InDesign experience is a plus