by Pete Richmire

INDEPENDENCE, MO. – The Comets (5-4-3) and Wave (6-2-1) met at Cable Dahmer Arena Saturday night after both played the night before, Kansas City in St. Louis and Milwaukee at home against Florida. The Comets rode a six-point performance by Leo Gibson all the way to a 10-4 win in front of 3,883 fans on Retro/Alumni Night.

The story of the night, however, was an injury to James Togbah early in the 3rd quarter which ultimately sent him to the hospital after remaining motionless on the turf for several minutes. Fortunately, he was released from Center Point Hospital at midnight Central Time and diagnosed with just a concussion as opposed to a much more severe injury as it appeared to have possibly been.

It took Ian Bennett just 38 seconds into the game to extend his goal-scoring streak to an amazing 39 consecutive games. His marker, assisted by Alex Bradley put the Wave up 1-0 very early in the contest.

Milwaukee doubled their advantage on Mikey Herrera’s first goal of the season to make it 2-0 Wave with 4:38 left in the opening frame.

Kansas City cut that lead in half with 1:29 to go in the 1st when Gibson found John Sosa for the first of his two goals on the night and the teams went to the second quarter with Milwaukee leading 2-1.

Two of Gibson’s goals created tie scores, the first time coming with 8:27 left in the first half and bringing the Comets even at 2-2.

Another Wave player scoring his first of the season, Qudus Lawal, temporarily gave the Wave a 3-2 with 2:17 to go in the 2nd.

Then Gibson took over. His first of three consecutive goals again leveled the game at 3-3 on a power play goal assisted by Lucas Sousa. The teams went to the halftime break even, and it was the last time it would be so.

The second half took a dark turn when Togbah went into the end boards headfirst on a blue card penalty to Milwaukee’s Alex Steinwascher. Togbah was down for several minutes before being taken to the hospital for a scan and MRI.

Milwaukee killed the penalty, but Gibson scored back-to-back goals on assists by Lesia Thetsane and Ali Sodal to give Kansas City a 5-3 lead with 3:57 left in the 3rd.

Sosa’s second of the night, the eighth goal of the season make it 6-3 Comets with 2:20 to play in the 3rd.

Alex Sanchez snapped the Comets’ streak at four goals with what turned out to be Milwaukee’s last goal of the night, and the final goal of the 3rd quarter. The game moved to the final quarter with Kansas City on top by a 6-4 margin.

Kansas City recorded the final four goals of the night beginning with Christian Anderaos with an assist to Nacho Flores with 10:33 to play in the game.

Lesia Thetsane found the back of the net on two-straight goals, the first of which was assisted by Gibson for his sixth point of the game. The second goal was assisted by Sousa before Sousa scored the final goal of the game to reach the 10-4 final

The Comets will head north for a rematch with the Wave in Milwaukee on Sunday, January 29. The Comets return to Cable Dahmer Arena on Saturday, February 4 to conclude their season series with the St. Louis Ambush at 6 pm. Get your tickets today at