by Pete Richmire

INDEPENDENCE, MO. – The Comets (2-1-1) and Milwaukee Wave (1-1-0) went to overtime to decide the winner of the first of their six meetings this season. Just under two minutes into the extra frame, Lucas Sousa sent the game-winner home for the 4-3 win in front of 5,821 fans at Cable Dahmer Arena

If either team was tired after late games yesterday, travel, and then an early start today, it did not show as they battled to a 0-0 score after two quarters. The pace was quick, and each team had a power play opportunity but could not convert.

The scoreless streak was snapped early into the 3rd quarter when Alex Bradley connected with Daniel Mattos for a Wave power-play goal with 12:50 to go in the frame. They took the lead just 27 seconds into their man advantage with Lalo Alonso Alejo in the box for on a blue card.

Shortly after that goal, the Comets went on a power-play of their own and just as it had expired, Leo Gibson sent a pass from the left corner to Lesia Thetsane who was wide open in front of the goal for an easy tap-in goal to tie the game at 1-1 with 9:45 left in the 3rd. Just as the first two quarters ended, the 3rd ended with an even score as well. The teams headed to the final 15 minutes of regulation at 1-1.

It was not even for long, though. The Wave’s Alex Bradley was sent off for two minutes for tripping 23 seconds into the 4th quarter. It only took another 25 seconds for the Comets to convert when Thetsane drew Wave keeper William Banahene to the left side and found Ramone Palmer streaking into the box with a perfect pass for the goal to put the Comets up 2-1 with 14:12 to go in the 4th.

Kansas City went up 3-1 when James Togbah crossed the yellow line with a double step over a quick move to his left and fired a low shot past Banahene with 9:00 to go.

38 seconds later, Hayne brought the Wave back within one at 3-2. Shawn Azcueta was credited with the assist with 8:22 left.

Chase Bromstedt picked up a blue card with 4:23 to go and Ian Bennett sent home the equalizer just inside the left post to tie the score at 3-3 with 2:45 to play.

It stayed 3-3 sending the game to overtime but with 11 seconds left in regulation, Milwaukee was issued a blue card for too many men giving the Comets 1:49 of a power-play left as the extra period kicked off.

The penalty had barely expired when Sousa let a shot fly from the yellow line to beat Banahene for the game-winning goal.

The Comets will head north to face the Milwaukee Wave in their venue on Friday. Extremely limited tickets may be available at


1st – None. Penalties – MKE Hayne (bc- contact above the shoulder/elbow) 9:25.

2nd – None. Penalties – KC Flores (bc- tripping) 5:46; KC Flores (yc- dissent) 5:46.

3rd – MKE Mattos (Bradley) 2:10 pp; KC Thetsane (Gibson) 5:15. Penalties – KC Alejo (bc- dangerous play) 1:43; MKE Hayne (bc- boarding) 3:10; MKE Morrison (bc- two-footed tackle) 9:45

4th – KC Palmer (Thetsane) 0:48 pp; KC Togbah (Sosa) 6:00; MKE Hayne (Azcueta) 6:38; MKE Bennett (Huffman) 12:16 pp. Penalties – MKE Bradley (bc- tripping) 0:23; KC Bromstedt (bc- tripping) 10:37; MKE Team (bc- too many men) 14:49.

OT – KC  . Penalties – None.

Power Play – Comets 1/5, Milwaukee 2/4

Penalty Minutes – Comets 13, Milwaukee 8

Shots – Comets 33, Milwaukee 37

Attendance – 5,821