by Regina Bolin

KANSAS CITY (Feb. 16, 2019) – The Kansas City Comets fell to the Milwaukee Wave 8-2 in their post Valentine’s Day match-up at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena on Saturday.

It came as no surprise that Milwaukee’s Ian Bennett was the first to score. After Kansas City’s slow defensive transition, Angel Curiel found Bennett for the early goal.

Six minutes in, Brett Petricek had a diving fingertip save that kept the Wave from putting another one in the net. The Comets defense was on lock-down until the Wave struck again. After multiple close-range saves from Petricek, Stuart Grable finished it with an assist from Guilherme Veiga.

The Wave’s first selection goalkeeper, Josh Lemos, was out for the game so the Comets put Rafael Dias to the test in the final minutes of the first quarter. Shots fired from all angles, unfortunately, the majority finding the post instead of the back of the net.

Milwaukee went on the attack at the start of the second quarter with Bennett scoring again less than a minute in. This time Max Ferdinand had the assist, his 17th of the year.

Three minutes in, a foul on the Wave gave the Comets a restart in the corner of the field. Before the Wave could set up, John Sosa found Gui Gomez who slammed it in. This is Gomez’s first goal of the season and put the Comets back in the game. Sosa reached 225 career points with the assist.

Shortly after, Robert Palmer was given a blue card for tripping. Despite the Comet’s 60 percent penalty kill, Bennett struck again, earning the hat trick before halftime. Ferdinand had the assist once more.

The Comets got another blue card after Bryan Perez earned his fourth foul of the half. With Kansas City underhanded once again, Ferdinand found Bennett to put the Wave up 5-1.

Milwaukee banged another one in to start the third quarter. This goal came in the third minute from Iasaac Pereyra with the assist going to Alex Bradley.

Ten minutes later, Bennett hammered one more goal in to lift Milwaukee to seven on the night. Thankfully, the quarter ended with no more goals from the Wave and hope set for the fourth quarter for the Comets.

To attempt to gain some momentum, Kansas City started the fourth quarter with John Sosa as the sixth attacker. Several blocks and saves from Dias kept the Comets from scoring.

Luck started to turn for Kansas City when the Wave’s Grable received a blue card and the Comets went on the power play. Playing on their strengths, Kansas City was able to put one in. James Togbah, league leader in power play goals, found his fifth for the season.

However, Milwaukee capitalized on the Comets’ sixth attacker. Ian Bennet was able to pass the ball into the net from midfield for his last goal of the night.

Seven minutes into the fourth quarter, Ignacio Flores was sent to the penalty box to give Milwaukee another power play. The Comets were able to successively kill off the penalty and keep the Wave at eight goals. Despite offensive pressure, the Comets were unable to score again before the final buzzer sounded.

Former Sporting Kansas City defender, Kevin Ellis made his Comets debut and will look to continue play next week.

The Comets will turn things around next game when they are back at home at Silverstein Eye Centers Arena. They take on the Orlando SeaWolves in another South Central division match-up. The game will kick off on February 24, 2019 at 4:05 PM CT and will be streamed live on

MASL Match Report
Match: Kansas City Comets vs Milwaukee Wave
Date: February 16, 2019
Venue: Silverstein Eye Centers Arena, Independence, MO
Kickoff: 7:08 p.m. CT / 8:08 p.m. ET

Scoring Summary

Kansas City Comets01012
Milwaukee Wave23218