by Pete Richmire

PARK CITY, KS. – The Kansas City Comets (3-0) made the short trip to Hartman Arena in Park City Kansas to play the Wichita Wings (1-2) with the Central Cup trophy on the line. A hat trick from Kevin Ellis, and an eight-goal run by the Comets sealed the win by an 8-1 final wrapping up their tournament championship.

Despite Wichita picking up the first goal of the opening quarter, Kansas City dominated the frame and ultimately out shot the Wings by a 17-5 margin. One of Wichita’s shots was Nathan Clark’s first goal as a Wing with 11:18 to play in the quarter. He converted a Brent Hobson pass into a 1-0 for the home team.

After that Kansas City went on a run beginning with Nick McDonald leveling the match on a strike from the right side with 7:53 to play in the first. Following blue cards to each team Leo Gibson found Ellis for the 4-on-4 goal to put Kansas City in front 2-1 with 3:47 on the clock. After the Comets penalty expired, they were on an abbreviated power play and Lucas Sousa made the most of it on an assist from John Sosa to give his team a 3-1 advantage after 15 minutes of play.

The lone goal of the second quarter came when Sosa capitalized on a Wichita turnover in their own box giving the Comets a 4-1 lead at the half. The third quarter would be much more eventful.

Gibson opened second half scoring for the Comets on an Adam James assist to give Kansas City a 5-1 advantage with 12:57 to go in the third. Things were quiet for just a bit until James picked up a blue card for boarding putting Wichita on the power play with 3:45 left in the third. Before his penalty expired, Eduardo Monreal also picked up a blue card for boarding for the Wings and Kansas City’s Sosa took exception to the play. Sosa was issued a blue and a yellow card for his response and combined with his first quarter penalty, resulted in a red card disqualification.

With 30 seconds on the clock in the third quarter, Ellis picked up a rebound in front of the Wichita net and fired it to the back of the net for a 6-1 lead headed to the final quarter.

James caught Wichita during a line change and ran up the right side to knock in a goal to make it 7-1 early in the 4th quarter. After a tripping penalty was assessed to Wichita’s Monreal, Sousa found Ellis with a cross-pitch pass and it resulted in Kansas City’s second power play goal of the game, and an 8-1 final score.


1st – WIC Clark (Hobson) 3:38; KC McDonald 7:07; KC Ellis (Gibson) 11:13; KC Sousa (Sosa) 11:57 PP. Penalties – KC Sosa blue card (kicking) 9:25; WIC Ten Eyck blue card (reckless tackle) 10:46.

2nd – KC Sosa 10:25. Penalties – KC McDonald blue card (elbowing) 0:45.

3rd – KC Gibson (James) 2:03; KC Ellis 14:30. Penalties – KC James blue card (boarding) 11:15; WIC Monreal blue card (boarding) 12:49; KC Sosa blue card (boarding) 12:49; KC Sosa yellow card (dissent) 12:49; KC Sosa red card (3 time penalties) 12:49.

4th – KC James 1:28; KC Ellis (Sousa) 8:05 PP. Penalties – WIC Monreal blue card (tripping) 7:38.

Shots – Kansas City 17-7-6-11 (41); Wichita 5-7-2-3 (17)